Anonymous asked:

I want to learn how to translate visual novels, how can I learn about this? Is there a tutorial online? I know I should master Japanese first, I'm already working on it, but how about the programming stuff? Such as editing and patching?

First of all, check out what's left of TLwiki. It may be somewhat out of date, but it can at least point you in the right direction when it comes to how to work with files. There are general-purpose programs such as GARbro that can unpack most games, but the tricky thing is finding an application that will repack those files into a useable patch. Depending on the engine, there may or may not even be such a program. There are many situations where an engine has no available tools, and you're simply screwed. Sometimes you can get the engine to accept raw files, but not always.

If you can get a workable script, all you need to do is open it in Japanese encoding and edit the thing. I have never needed to use a hex editor or anything like that, but I hear there are cases where you would.

Comments