Anonymous asked:

If someone offered payment to do a certain VN translation would you do it?

Anonymous asked:

Would you accept commission?

Maybe, but probably not. I still don't feel right about accepting money for this, and would prefer it to be a last resort.

Also, there's the issue of price. I believe I've heard that the standard industry fare is about one cent per character. Just looking over the script I have open at the moment, I could do a hundred characters within three lines. Even if some lines were short, and it averaged out to five lines per dollar, that would work out to $400 for a 2000-line-long title, such as an IZM game. I can't imagine charging anybody that for so little. I would have to work for substantially less than one cent per character, perhaps less than half a cent. By my reckoning, the only way the price can be worth it for the commissioner is if it's not worth it for me.

Comments

  1. Isn’t it mostly about obligation though? I mean, mad respect for you not wanting to take peoples money and set yourself up for demands and expectations you might not be able to fulfill. Most people in your position would happily take support money and then come up with shitty excuses when they cant put in the work that is expected, essentially stringing supporters along for easy paychecks. Mad respect, Rattan. You’re on of the few real ones left.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment