Samuel asked:

I'm actually curious, how many lines do you manage to get done in one night? And how long does it usually take?

That varies enormously, depending on how tired I am, how much time I've got, and how difficult it is to work on a specific scene. There are some scenes where (usually for a combination of reasons) the lines take longer to do, and it's very difficult to gain momentum. This isn't even necessarily because the text is difficult to comprehend; it can be that plenty of lines are easy to understand, but hard to phrase naturally in English. If I get enough lines that require serious consideration, then the whole process becomes very stop-start, and I find it harder to make progress.

As an example of this contrast, the last time I did editing, I got 200 lines done before I became too tired to concentrate. But there have been other occasions when I've had more time, and struggled to even get 75. Remember that I once spent an entire night having to look up Shakespeare and Kurt Vonnegut references for just three lines of KS2, and you get an idea of how annoying things can become.

Comments

  1. I hate to tell you this but I don't remember the shakespeare or kurt vonnegut references

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment