Anonymous asked:

Apparently JAST USA is localizing Makai Tenshi Djibril, so you can cross that one off your request list. Any idea on how they'll get a title made in 2004 patched and running on modern hardware?

I just saw that, and I'm baffled. If there's one thing that I thought would be relatively safe, it's a game that's almost twenty years old and seriously looks like it. I figured that if anybody was going to do it, it would be Frontwing themselves. As for the engine, I imagine they'll either patch it or port the contents to a new version.

Does this news do anything to help you determine which older titles are possible to patch? At least know you know it's not completely outside of the realm of possibility.

That doesn't really mean anything. First of all, I had already figured out how to patch Djibril, but that doesn't guarantee that the same tactics will work on other games with that engine. Secondly, there's a massive difference between a fan translator having to work with existing tools, and a localization company who have been handed the original script and source code.

The only thing this news really does is confirm to me that absolutely nothing is safe anymore. Not new games, not old games, not semi-obscure games with a cult popularity—not even Lilith games, if they decide to finally get their act together about localization. I have a feeling that this blog's days are numbered; not a small number, mind you, but I'm definitely going to have to find something else to do.

Comments