Anonymous asked:

So apparently the English version of RPGX is finally coming out. Any thoughts? Do you even care enough to comment?

I'm hardly surprised, given that they localized TABA, and announced this localization over a year ago. I'm not planning to play it, for obvious reasons. I half-heartedly played English TABA for a few weeks, until I couldn't be bothered going over the same material anymore. All I personally care about is how it affects me: i.e., I guess I'm not going to be doing any more scenes, barring some kind of special circumstances. Frankly, I would have been doing them more regularly if I hadn't known from the start that this day was coming.

Speaking of which, I do hope that the translation is better than TABA, which (in my limited experience), ranged wildly from good to awful. Even in the middle of that spectrum, there were still bits I didn't approve of, such as when mentions of things like smegma were omitted for no apparent reason. Probably most egregiously, I saw them translate the typically Japanese cries of "It feels good" as "I love it", which completely changes the context of a scene. Let's say a character is being raped, and she's trying desperately to resist an overload of pleasure, and failing. And now, let's say she suddenly declares "I love it!" This obviously alters the entire perception of the situation, making it look like she's a slut, or like the situation has become consensual. These things may seem minor, but RPGX is by far a more story-heavy game than TABA, with some events containing a tenth as many lines as an entire Lilith VN. They need to take it more seriously, no matter how stupid some of the storylines get.

Apart from that, I'm mainly surprised that they're modifying the game so much. I hear there might be PVP, and apparently, there will even be guilds for some reason. I can't be bothered to look into it that closely, but it may end up fairly different from the original. It would be interesting if it ended up supplanting the original game, or if the Japanese start demanding features from the global version that the original developers weren't prepared to include.

Also, RPGX Extasy is a fucking stupid name. That's all I can think of.

Comments